Sunday, February 3, 2008

Work at the Hangar

This last week was my first full week of work at the hangar. On Monday I was able to ride along on an evacuation flight to Nakuru. We brought 26 people from Nakuru to Nairobi to escape the violence in Nakuru. I was basically an extra set of hands to help load baggage and to assist passengers in boarding. (Technically I was a flight attendant.)

Tuesday and Wednesday I did the tail section of a Cessna Caravan phase inspection. I had never worked on a Caravan before so I asked a lot of questions but it went really well. Thursday and Friday I was assigned to a phase inspection on the DC-3. I have never worked on anything so big and so old. The plane is 63 years old! It has been good experience and I look forward to finishing the inspection next week.

I have found a youth group to get involved with while I am here. It meets Sunday nights at Jim and Becky Levander's house. I am going to miss the guys from Rush Creek but I am also excited to get to know a new group of youth while I am here. Jim and Becky are very excited that I want to be involved.

I have also added some pictures of the house I am staying in to the photo gallery. I have not had a chance to take a lot of pictures at the hangar yet and I didn't have my camera with me when I went flying but this next week I will tkae a lot of pictures of the work at the hangar and get them posted next week.

I want to ask you to please pray for the Kenyans that work in the hangar that live in the slums. There is still some violence and danger in the slums and several of the guys haven't slept in sereral days because they are afraid of their homes being burned or looted. I can't imagine that. Please keep them in your prayers.

In Christ,
~Nathan

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you got a chance to go on a flight and am getting new experiences in work! Someone at church today told me they love to read your e-mails because you put your heart in it! Keep it up! We love you and miss you but am excited to see your growth! Mom

Anonymous said...

I'm with you man. Tonight is the Super Bowl party. We'll miss you as we gorge on diet soda and those vanilla fake oreos.