Sunday, January 20, 2008

Orientation

So far the orientation has gone very well. We have been busy but it has been very useful. We have had one short Kiswahili lesson and have two more (tomorrow and Tuesday). We also were shown several local shopping centers where we can get just about anything. We also had a public transportation lesson. The main form of public transportation are matatus. They are basically small minivans that seat 14-16 people. One of the Kenyan workers at Mayfield showed us which routes we will be taking from our houses to the airport and how to get back. I still will need someone to go with me the first couple times.

On Tuesday we move out of Mayfield and into our houses for the rest of our trip. I will begin working in the hangar on Wednesday. I am very excited to get to work! I have met a few of the people I will be working with and they are all great. I went to breakfast, church, and lunch with Randy Gottfried (AIM Air's Director of Maintenance Operations) and his family. It was really nice. We had Ethiopian food for lunch and it was excellent! Randy was telling me that there is a lot of work to do at the hangar and that I will have no problem jumping right in. He also said that he is a big fan of people getting outside of Nairobi and seeing what the rest of the country and the surrounding countries are like. I am very excited to travel around! Well, I have a full day of language lessons and several meetings tomorrow so I am off to bed!

In Christ,
~Nathan

P.S. On the right side of my blog I have added a link to a photogallery for my trip. I will add more pictures periodically, so keep checking! Just click on the picture labeled "Kenya 2008".

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you have been quite busy! I'm sure that it is quite overwhelming but what a privilege! We'll be praying for the next couple of days and as you move to your place! I'm sure you are anxious to get started!
Love you much! Mom

Anonymous said...

I looked at your pictures and saw my senior picture on your desk! Hope You're having a good time! Miss you!
Love you! Em!

Anonymous said...

Yo buddy,
I still think that you should of smuggled me onto the plane in your carry-on :)

Michael

Jon said...

Rock on, brotha.

My captcha thing made me write "ozpusoj." I thought that was awesome.